TripAdvisor just released their latest list of world’s recognizable structures. The travel reviews site has revealed the winners of its 2016 Travelers’ Choice Awards and named the world’s most beloved landmarks.
“These Travelers’ Choice award-winning landmarks attract millions of visitors each year and represent some of the world’s most impressive examples of human ingenuity,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor, in a statement.
Find the world’s top 10 most beloved landmarks, according to the TripAdvisor survey, below!
10. MILAN CATHEDRAL, MILAN ITALY
The capital city’s duomo has been described by some TripAdvisor users as the ‘most beautiful church in the world’.
And the best vantage point from which to experience the stunning architecture? From the roof, which requires a ticket to access.
9. LINCOLN MEMORIAL REFLECTING POOL, WASHINGTON, USA
Originally built in 1922 on swampy ground, Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool is a place of national significance that honours one of America’s greatest presidents.
8. THE ALHAMBRA, GRANADA, SPAIN
The rose-hued castle was named a national monument in 1870. The impressive Alhambra in Granada was made as a Unesco World Heritage site in 1984
7. CHURCH OF THE SAVIOR ON BLOOD, ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA
This spectacular, multi-colored church in St. Petersburg dazzles in the sun with its golden domes and intricate mosaics.
6. MOSQUE- CATHEDRAL OF CORDOBA, CORDOBA, SPAIN
Originally called the Great Mosque of Córdoba, the Islamic holy building was converted into a Christian cathedral in the 13th century, with many of the openings closed up so they could be used as backdrops for the various saints.
5. TAJ MAHAL, AGRA, INDIA
Designated as a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1983, the white marble mausoleum attracts over three million visitors every year.
4. ST. PETER’S BASILICA, VATICAN CITY, ITALY
St Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City is considered to be the most important church in the Catholic world.
3. ANGKOR WAT, SIEM REAP, CAMBODIA
Angkor Archaeological Park is one of the most important religious sites not only in south-east Asia, but the entire world.
2. SHEIKH ZAYED GRAND MOSQUE CENTRE, ABU DHABI, UAE
The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is considered to be one of the key places of worship in Abu Dhabi, and the whole of the United Arab Emirates
1. MACHU PICCHU, MACHU PICCHU, PERU
Renowned worldwide for its dry-stone walls, which were built without the use of mortar, these incredible buildings are as mesmerising as they are mysterious.
We will add the remaining 15 landmarks to complete TripAdvisor’s list so stay tuned!
- CATRIONA GRAY FINDS MORE REASONS TO SMILE WITH SPARKLE - September 16, 2021
- KIEHL’S DROPS A NEW SERUM TO FIGHT THE EFFECTS OF SKIN AGING - September 8, 2021
- 10 BEST SERUMS TO BRIGHTEN YOUR SKIN AND GIVE YOU THAT DEWY LOOK - September 2, 2021